An Englishman dealing with the Caribbean

Receptionist at the Vincy Hot Sauce Company:
Mr. Cyrus, There is a call for you from London, from Texaco - A Mr. Philpott

Winston Cyrus:
OK, OK - I'm coming - (Mr. Cyrus speaks very slowely and deliberately - He picks up the phone) - This is Winston Cyrus speakin.

Phillpott:
Hello Mr. Cyrus, This is Ian Phillpott here. I am the Purchasing Director for Tesco Supermarkets in Britain. Our Managing Director was in the Caribbean on holiday last week and he tried your hot sauce. He brought back some and he has asked me to purchase some to give it a trial in our supermarkets.

Cyrus:
Now - hold on a bit Mr. Phillpott. It is not easy to get hot sauce to England. It takes time.

Phillpott:
It's OK Mr. Cyrus. We buy from all over the World, so we are used to transport arrangements. How much would you charge us for a trial order.

Cyrus:
Well, let me see - - - - I tink we would be lookin at 12 dollars a bottle, dependin on quantity and then there would be shippin costs as well.

Phillpott:
Mr. Cyrus - That is an outragious price. It is around £6 pounds a bottle and that's more than 6 times the price of anything comparable.

Cyrus: (Very slowely and deliberately)
Let me tell you something, Mr Phillpott. - - Let me tell you - You won't find a better tastin hot sauce - You won't find a better tastin hot sauce in the whole Caribbean - Not in the whole Caribbean.

Phillpott:
But it is still very expensive

Cyrus:
Let me tell you, that we have costs - There is -- taxes, and bottles - and labels -- and caps - and boxes - and - ingredients. Let's not forget ingredients - Ingredients don't grow on trees Mr. Phillpott.

Phillpott:
Well, yes they do - never mind. I tasted your sauce Mr. Cyrus and it's very good, but our customers won't pay that price. Remember that we can place very large orders if we have a good trial. It is a great opportunity. Do you have the power to negotiate?

Cyrus:
Well now Mr. Phillpott. I would be very careful usin words like "The Power" to negotiate. Only Almighty God has the Power. I have the authority to negotiate. I am the owner of the Company.

Phillpott:
Now you are playing with words Mr. Cyrus. I am dealing with you and I want to know that you have the power to negotiate. God is nothing to do with it, and yes - he has supreme power, but not in this negotiation.

Cyrus:
I could agree a price and then I could be struck down - and then where would your agreement be.

Phillpott:
OK - OK. You have the authority to negotiate

Cyrus:
How many bottles would you be wantin, Mr. Phillpott

Phillpott:
Well I thought we could try a case of each flavour.

Cyrus:
That is a sizable order, because we have 5 flavours.

Phillpott:
For each or our stores of course

Cyrus:
Eh - How many stores would that be.

Phillpott:
We have 147 in the UK - so that would be 737 cases

Cyrus:
(Very long pause) - 737 cases - - - - - Well then, I could do it for 10 dollers a bottle.

Phillpott:
Look Mr. Cyrus - We normally wouldn't bother with a company like yours. The only reason that I'm calling you is that our Managing Director has instructed me to buy some of your sauce. You are going to have to do better than this. By the way, do you have a HACCP Certificate.

Cyrus:
A HACCP Certificate?

Phillpott:
You know - Health and Safety

Cyrus:
Let me stop you there Mr. Phillpott. Don't you be comin to me about no Health and Safety, --- 'cause that's when the costs go creepin up. ---- We have to buy hats for de workers, -- and gloves and washin equipment - and water for de washin. Let's not forget de water for de washin. Let me tell you this Mr. Phillpott. This -- Is a small Caribbean Island. - This is a small Caribbean island - Water don't grow on no trees you know Mr. Phillpott. You have to pay for it you see.

Phillpott:
Look Mr. Cyrus - We have the power - I mean the authority - I mean the ability - the potential to make you rich. Forget the HACCP for now, and I'll pay your price for the trial period, because my Managing Director tells me to, but you are going to need to be more businesslike if we are to deal with you in the future. When can we have the goods?

Cyrus:
That depends

Phillpott:
Depends on what?

Cyrus:
A number of things

Phillpott:
Like what?

Cyrus:
A number of things - - Like when we make the sauce - And when de boat leaves - And how long it takes the boat to get to you - and when de boat arrives - and how long it takes to get de sauce from de boat to you - and stuff like that.

Phillpott:
OK - OK. Just send it to me and we'll accept it when it arrives. I'll fax you an order - and we can send you a part payment - with final payment when the goods arrive

Cyrus:
Fax? Just give me your name and address and we'll send de sauce to you. And don't go worryin about no part payment. Just send us de money when you get de sauce.